The goal of the PATH Outdoor Explorer Packs is to create a fun, semi-structured outdoor learning experience for families that involves physical movement outdoors through multiple disciplines. The PATH Outdoor Explorer Packs feature nature and outdoor-based activities that are fun and educational for all ages! Check out a pack from site staff to meet a tree, try your hand at finding your way, get on a bug’s level…all while learning more about North Carolina’s natural world.
These loanable packs provide a new experience for visitors to NC DNCR sites, while also promoting the PATH (Parks and Trails for Health) initiative. PATH connects people to parks, historic sites, and other outdoor spaces by promoting physical activity, fostering society’s understanding and appreciation for the life-sustaining role of parks and natural areas, and help people lead healthier and happier lives through North Carolina’s natural and cultural treasures.
PATH Outdoor Explorer Packs provide fun for all ages! Through the activities and supplies included in the packs you can meet some of North Carolina's state symbols, create nature-based art, find things around you in the natural world...big and small, move your body like the animals living in our state, and more!
*Availability of the packs will vary depending on locations and hours of operation. Please contact locations in advance to determine when packs are available to borrow.
Each pack contains:
- A branded PATH tote bag
- A pedometer
- A North Carolina set of field guides (wildlife, birds, and trees & wildflowers)
- A magnifying glass
- A compass glued to a clipboard
- A cloth measuring tape
- A Tree Quest Fundana
- Various books (titles include “Thirteen Moons on Turtles Back,” “Poetry for Kids: Carl Sandburg,” “Ruby’s Birds,” “Where’s Rodney?” “Where are you from?” and “Hiking Day"
- Somerset Place
- Bennett Place
- NC Zoo
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- Horne Creek Farm
- Tryon Palace
- Alamance Battleground
- Charlotte Hawkins Brown Museum
- Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson
- Town Creek Indian Mound
- President James K. Polk Historic Site
- NCMNS at Whiteville
- NC Maritime Museum at Southport
- Mountain Gateway Museum
- Historic Halifax
- Prairie Ridge Ecostation
- County Public Library Systems...ask your librarian for help!