Spending time outdoors can improve overall health and wellness. The outdoors offers many opportunities to be physically active. Time outdoors may also promote mental health and stress reduction. You can joy nature from the window, in your home, backyard, and neighborhood. Or find a state park near you and discover more ways to enjoy our parks and trails online.
Learn more about how Healthy Parks Healthy People is tapping into the healing power of nature.
Listed below are suggestions for how to get a healthy dose of nature—wherever you are.
- Do you know what time the sun rises and sets?
- Enjoy a view of nature from your window, your porch, or balcony.
- Enjoy a five-minute break in front of the window.
- Participate in a bird watch from your own backyard.
- How many different birds you can see?
- How many different bird calls you can hear?
- Can you see any birds making nests?
- Can see any birds with worms in their beaks?
- Can you find any signs of spring in the plants around you?
- How many different blooms can you see?
- How many trees or shrubs are coming into leaf?
- How many people can you count walking outside?
- How accurately can you guess the outside temperature, the wind speed, and the humidity?
- Watch the clouds go by.
- Take your lunch break by the window or outdoors.
- Include houseplants in your workspace.
- Bring fresh flowers into your workspace.
- Walk or bike ride to work.
- Host a walking meeting.
- Get outside and practice mindful breathing for 5 minutes in fresh air.
- Put on some headphones and listen to nature sounds while working.
- Schedule outdoor nature breaks.
- Include nature photos and pictures in your workplace.
- Listen to nature sounds on your work break.
- Use your favorite nature scene as a screensaver.