Operated by Clapp, Gates and Company. Made rifles and military supplies for N.C. and the Confederacy, 1861-64. Site 1/4 mi. E.
Congregation organized ca. 1771; fourth church erected in 1971 on site of original log structure.
Gen. Nathanael Greene maintained headquarters here, Feb. 28-Mar. 12, 1781, before meeting Cornwallis at Guilford Courthouse. Ford is 100 feet west.
Also called Rockingham Springs. Council of State met here, 1790. Owned by John Lenox, Archibald D. Murphey, & Thomas Ruffin. Famous health resort.
Built 1786 by John Haley, blacksmith & sheriff, on the Petersburg-Salisbury Road. Later a tavern; now preserved as a museum.
Originally German Reformed. Now United Church of Christ. Served in 1759 by James Martin. This church was begun in 1813 and was remodeled in 1840.
Poet & literary critic of national acclaim. Taught at UNC-Greensboro from 1947 to 1965. His grave is 120 yards southwest.
Methodist. Begun 1874; reorganized as woman's college, 1926. Named for Lyman Bennett of Troy, N.Y. Campus 2 bl. S.
Built 1917 by Katharine, R.J. Reynolds ½ mi. N. on 1,000-acre model farm. Now museum of American art. Farm was donated to Wake Forest University.
Governor of Alabama, 1829-1831. Served in U.S. House and Senate. Official of Mississippi and Alabama Territories. Born near here, 1785.