Topics Related to Historical Markers

Established by John M. Morehead, operated, 1840-1862, 1868-1871. Building, burned in 1872, stood at this site.
Presbyterian, organized about 1756. Present building, the third, was erected in 1827. Revolutionary soldiers buried here.
Presbyterian, organized about 1764. Synod of North Carolina formed here, 1813. The present building erected 1955.
Established for Negroes as Slater Industrial Academy, 1892. State supported since 1895; University since 1969.
Set up in the First Presbyterian Church to receive wounded from Battle of Bentonville, 1865, was here.
Chartered in 1891 as a land grant college for blacks. Since 1972 a campus of The University of North Carolina.
Ku Klux Klan members and American Nazis, on Nov. 3, 1979, shot and killed five Communist Workers Party members one-tenth mile north.
Member of Congress for 46 years from Illinois, Speaker of the House, 1903-11. His birthplace stood 1 1/2 miles southwest.
Built in 1816. Rare example of dog-run building. Operated by Wrights and Reids. Birthplace and home of Congressman J. W. Reid.
Near here ran southern line of estate of Wm. Byrd, Virginia planter, author, and surveyor of Va.-N.C. boundary line, 1728.