Topics Related to Historical Markers

Built 1917 by Katharine, R.J. Reynolds ½ mi. N. on 1,000-acre model farm. Now museum of American art. Farm was donated to Wake Forest University.
Governor of Alabama, 1829-1831. Served in U.S. House and Senate. Official of Mississippi and Alabama Territories. Born near here, 1785.
Invented in 1898 one of the first successful automatic cigarette machines. Workshop was 3 blocks east, home 614 W. Fifth St.
Lutheran. Begun about 1778 by German settlers. Formerly called "Old Dutch Meeting House." Present building, 1878.
Founded 1834 in Wake County by N.C. Baptist Convention. Moved to Winston-Salem in 1956.
Was begun in 1753 and organized as a Monthly Meeting, 1778. Present building erected 1875.
Was begun in 1757 and organized as a Monthly Meeting in 1773. This is the fourth building on the original site.
Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, 1890-1911; editor; author; education official in California. Born nearby.
A Quaker abolitionist; guided slaves on paths to freedom as leader of Underground Railroad. Was born ca. 4 mi. N.
Governor, 1885-1889, Confederate general, state legislator, and Congressman. Birthplace stood 3 1/2 mi. E.