Topics Related to Historical Markers

Ornithologist; teacher; internationally honored conservationist. Founded Audubon Society in N.C. Grave is 1/10 mi. N.E.
Moravian. Begun in 1759, organized in 1773; first church and school built in 1769. Third structure, 1825; located 1.6 mi. W.
Operated by Clapp, Gates and Company. Made rifles and military supplies for N.C. and the Confederacy, 1861-64. Site 1/4 mi. E.
Congregation organized ca. 1771; fourth church erected in 1971 on site of original log structure.
Gen. Nathanael Greene maintained headquarters here, Feb. 28-Mar. 12, 1781, before meeting Cornwallis at Guilford Courthouse. Ford is 100 feet west.
Also called Rockingham Springs. Council of State met here, 1790. Owned by John Lenox, Archibald D. Murphey, & Thomas Ruffin. Famous health resort.
Built 1786 by John Haley, blacksmith & sheriff, on the Petersburg-Salisbury Road. Later a tavern; now preserved as a museum.
Originally German Reformed. Now United Church of Christ. Served in 1759 by James Martin. This church was begun in 1813 and was remodeled in 1840.
Poet & literary critic of national acclaim. Taught at UNC-Greensboro from 1947 to 1965. His grave is 120 yards southwest.
Methodist. Begun 1874; reorganized as woman's college, 1926. Named for Lyman Bennett of Troy, N.Y. Campus 2 bl. S.