Topics Related to Historical Markers

First steam-powered cotton mill in N.C. Operated ca. 1834-50 in large brick building that stood 2 blocks N.
Antislavery organization formed by Quakers in central N.C. First met at Centre, July 1816. Disbanded in 1834.
Opened interior of N.C. The ground-breaking took place nearby, July 11, 1851. First president, John Motley Morehead.
Founded Slater Academy, now Winston-Salem State Univ.; president, 1892-1904, 1913-34. Religious and community leader. Lived one block west.
Established by Quakers 1867 to stem westward migration by promoting improved agricultural practices. Tract, sold in 1891, was 1/2 mi. E.
Lutheran. Congregation organized before 1791; church shared with other denominations until the 1850s. This bldg., 1940.
Smelting furnace built by Nathaniel Moody in 1843. It supplied iron to Confederacy, 1862-1865. Stands 3/10 mi. NE.
Pres. George Washington visited Moravian town of Salem and spent the night of May 31, 1791, at tavern ½ mile north.
Moses and Ceasar Cone pioneered marketing of textiles; manufactured denim & flannel. Their first mill, Proximity, 1895, was 1/4 mile N.E.
Established in 1773 and organized as a Monthly Meeting, 1790. Building erected 1927 on original site is 1/2 mile east.