Representatives of the State Historic Preservation Office assist private citizens, private institutions, local governments and agencies of state and federal government in the identification, evaluation, protection and enhancement of properties significant in North Carolina history and archaeology.
The section implements state and federal preservation programs and has three components: The Office of State Archaeology, the Survey and Planning Branch, and the Restoration Branch.
Survey and National Register Branch
The Survey and National Register Branch representative of the State Historic Preservation Office coordinates activities in five major program areas related to the preservation of historic structures in western North Carolina:
- the statewide historic building survey,
- the National Register of Historic Places program,
- environmental review of state and federal projects that affect historic structures,
- local historic preservation commissions and
- public information and assistance.
For more information, contact Hannah Beckman-Black, Preservation Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (828) 250-3112.
The Restoration Branch representative of the State Historic Preservation Office provides technical assistance relating to architectural conservation of historic buildings and structures in western North Carolina. Major program areas include coordination of:
- state and federal preservation grant-in-aid projects,
- federal and state rehabilitation investment tax credit programs,
- review and monitoring of restoration and rehabilitation work on state-owned properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places and
- review and monitoring of federal or state funded or licensed projects which may affect National Register listed or eligible historic properties.
Technical assistance is also provided to municipal and county governments, private citizens, and organizations who own historic buildings. For more information, contact Jennifer Cathey, Restoration Specialist, at email@example.com or (828) 250-3113.