Topics Related to Mecklenburg County

Prof. Henry L. Smith pioneered medical uses for x-rays. Conducted experiments and made radiographs Feb. 1896 in physics lab nearby.

The Presbyterian congregation was organized before 1760 by Scots-Irish settlers. Robert Henry, the first permanent pastor, arrived in 1766. Rev. James McRee served from 1778 to 1797. Sugar Creek was the first Presbyterian church in the region, organized in 1756. The rest of the churches, known collectively as the "Seven Sisters," were Hopewell (1762), Poplar Tent (1764), Centre (1765), Providence (1767), and Philadelphia (1770).

"Strictly Stock" race, June 19, 1949, launched NASCAR sanctioned series. 3/4-mile dirt track was 200 yds. W.

Professor & Dean, Biddle University. Organizer and fundraiser for Rosenwald program in N.C., 1921- 1935. He lived ¼ mi. S.

Est. in 1867 as Biddle Memorial Institute for freedmen. Became a university, 1877. Present name adopted in 1923.

Charlotte was center of region's gold rush after 1825. Rudisill & Saint Catherine, among largest mines, were near here.

Congregation organized, 1770. David Barr, first pastor. Building, completed 1826, is 1/4 mi. E.

Operated as Branch U.S. Mint, 1837-61. Relocated to present site as art museum, 1936. Building expanded, 1968 and 1985.

Established 1946; became Charlotte College, 1949. Moved here 1961. Campus of The University of North Carolina since 1965.

Opened 1859; D. H. Hill was 1st superintendent; used as Confederate hospital; public school, 1883-1950. Stood near here.