Steps that our division has already taken (or is currently taking) to increase sustainability and environmental performance, reduce waste, save energy, etc.
- Use of digital grant documents for panels and staff.
- Easily accessible recycling bins in central locations and in individual offices.
- Emphasis on printing less and conducting more work online.
- Discontinued magazine subscriptions that are not essential to the work done in our programs.
- Removed individual desk printers.
- Increased use of digital recordkeeping.
- Old files and documents have been digitally archived, non-essential documents and materials have been recycled or repurposed including donations to prison libraries, schools, and other organizations.
- Out of date materials shredded and biproduct used for manufacture of paper towels.
- Use of plants to improve air quality.
- New lighting scheduled to improve energy efficiency with the use of timers.
Future steps that our division would like to explore/research to increase sustainability and environmental performance, reduce waste, and save energy.
- Improve heating and cooling efficiency to address employee comfort and avoid use of space heaters and fans.
- Change out the windows in the building so that they are energy efficient and reduce leakage.
- Replace old printers that waste paper/materials.
- Use less paper in procedural functions.
- Use more online resources for NCAC programs (as opposed to print materials).
- Use companies that offer green caterer packaging when large orders are placed for panels, symposia, etc.
- Flexible working hours to avoid peak traffic.
- Allow and increase appropriate use of remote work stations, such as home offices.