Topics Related to Robeson County

Colonel in Revolution, member of provincial congresses and state senator. Robeson County is named for him. His home stood 1/2 mile N.E.
Established 1887 as the State Normal School for Indians. Since 1972 a campus of The University of North Carolina.
Operated by Methodist Church, 1911-1926. Site used by Presbyterian Jr. College, 1929-1960; Carolina Military Academy, 1962-1972. One block S.
One of earliest colleges for women in the South, 1841-78. Centre Presbyterian Church, formerly the college chapel, is 150 yards north.
Presbyterian. Founded in 1896. Closed 1961. Merged to create St. Andrews College. Was located 1 mi. east.
Est. 1881 for blacks by Lumber River Bapt. Assoc. Boarding school; trained teachers; named for A.H. Thompson. Succeeded here by public school in 1942.
Governor, 1925-1929, assistant secretary, U.S. Treasury, 1920-1921. His birthplace was 4 mi. N.
Baptist churches serving Lumbee and other tribes. Association was formed in 1881 at Burnt Swamp Church, then 2 1/2 mi. N.
On March 7, 1887, the General Assembly passed legislation allowing for the construction of a secondary school for the Robeson County Indians then called the Croatan and now known as the Lumbee.First known as the Croatan Normal School, the institution’s main goal was to train Indians to become school teachers.
On February 16, 1872, the infamous Lowrie Gang committed its last robbery. The daring raid netted $28,000. Days later, Henry Berry Lowrie, the leader of the band, disappeared and launched himself into North Carolina legend.During the Civil War, Lowrie and his brothers—all Lumbee Indians—hid out in the swamps of Robeson County to escape the forced labor inflicted upon free persons of color. They began to steal from the homes of white people in the area, taking clothing, supplies and arms.