Colonial village and trading center, merged in 1778 with town of Campbelton and in 1783 renamed Fayetteville.
Marching to Wilmington after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, stopped with his army in this town in April, 1781.
Baptist churches serving Lumbee and other tribes. Association was formed in 1881 at Burnt Swamp Church, then 2 1/2 mi. N.
Governor, 1828-1830; state legislator; and Whig party leader. His home stood 4 miles NW.
Governor, 1821-24; U.S. House, 1825-29. Advocate for agriculture, education. Grave 1 mi. N.E. His son, T.H., lt. general, C.S.A.
Congressman from N.C., 1811-16; Senator from Alabama for 29 years. Vice-President of the United States, 1853. Born six miles east.
Secretary of United States Navy, 1853-57. Helped found State Hospital for Insane. Home one block north.
Notable North Carolina poet, 1874-1907. House in which he was born restored at his burial site 1 1/2 miles west.
Authorized by Congress, 1836. Taken over by Confederacy, 1861. Destroyed March 1865, by Sherman. Ruins stand 2 blocks S.W.
Presbyterian. Organized in 1758 by Rev. James Campbell. Present building erected about 1858. N.W. 1 mi.