Topics Related to Historical Markers

Coastal Patrol Base, first in N.C., opened ½ mi. S.E., in 1942. Civilian pilots supported military and patrolled for German U-boats.
Mass meetings at Green Memorial Church for 32 days, June-July 1963, & nonviolent marches, led to the desegregation of local public facilities.
Only U.S. Lifesaving Station manned by black crew. Led by Richard Etheridge, 1880-1900. Operated near here.
Congressman, 1899-1921. Chair, Cmte. on Rivers & Harbors; champion of Intracoastal Waterway. Home stood 40 yds. E.
Confederate earth fort mounting four guns. Smallest on Roanoke Island. Surrendered on Feb. 8, 1862. Earthworks are 300 yds. S.
Anglican minister, born in Spain. Served parish, 1733-1744, in spite of difficulties inherent to life in colonial N.C.
Colony's first town, incorporated March 8, 1705. Home to first port of entry, 1716; exported naval stores.
U.S. Comptroller General, 1940-54; Member, U.S. House, 1925-40. Sponsor, Cape Hatteras National Seashore Act. Lived here.
Roanoke voyages, 1585-1590, based operations at inlet near here. Long closed, it was named for pilot Simon Fernandes.
The first Roman Catholic church in North Carolina. Consecrated, 1829. Burned by Federal troops, 1864. Stood one block east.