Author: Debbie Tullos
The environmental issues we hear about on the news can feel too big for one little person to tackle. Industrial pollution, plastics in the ocean, contaminated waterways…the problems seem overwhelming. However, we can never forget that our actions do make a difference. The entire world celebrates Earth Day, taking the time to learn and take action. When many individuals act, every individual makes an impact. It’s easier than you may think!
Here are 10 simple ways you can celebrate Earth Day, and make an impact:
- Pack a picnic and have a meal outdoors. Take all your trash out with you, and while you’re at it, take a look around and pick up any other trash that someone else may have left behind.
- Find organized clean-up and trash pick-up events in your area and volunteer.
- For a day, pay attention to how much single-use plastic you use. Things like straws, grocery bags, and food wrappers. The first step is awareness. Can you make different choices?
- Donate clothing to a second-hand clothing store. Shop for second-hand clothing instead of buying new.
- Turn the lights off every time you exit a room.
- Check your vehicle’s tire pressure. Properly inflated tires improve fuel efficiency.
- Grow something! Bonus points for native plants attractive to pollinators.
- Find a Kids in Parks TRACK Trail near you. These kid-friendly hikes guide you through an exploration of the natural habitat and its interconnectedness.
- Are you still receiving any paper bills? Switch to paperless online billing.
- Support protected natural areas like North Carolina’s state parks. Here are all the ways you can help make sure these beautiful spaces are preserved for generations to come.