Topics Related to Historical Markers

Episcopal. Was originally Blount’s Chapel. Built nearby ca. 1774 by Rev. Nathaniel Blount, who served until his death, 1816. Moved here, 1939.
Primitive Baptist. Begun in 1776. First Pastor was John Page. Second building on site. Two miles S.
Agent of the American Colonization Society in Liberia, founded the A.M.E. Zion churches in Albemarle area. His first church, 1865, near here.
Of the Royal Navy. Sent by Gov. Spotswood of Virginia, in the sloop "Ranger," killed the pirate Blackbeard offshore, 1718.
Largest natural lake in N.C. Center of an Indian reservation, established 1715. Twice drained and farmed. Wildlife refuge since 1934. One mile N.
"Graveyard of Atlantic." German submarines sank over 100 ships here, 1941-42, in the "Battle of Torpedo Junction." Shoals are 3 mi. south.
Baptist congregation formed about 1780. Primitive Baptist since 1830's. Church here was built in 1853.
Fort Hatteras and Fort Clark, 2 miles s. west, fell to Union troops on Aug. 29, 1861, after two days of heavy naval bombardment.
Granted to Sir John Colleton, Sept. 8, 1663. Colonized in 1665 by a company under Peter Carteret. Two miles W.
Congressman from New York, 1821-39; House leader for Jackson & Van Buren; minister to Russia; merchant. Was born in this town, 1786.